Dear Newby Families,
Third Grade Summer School
This summer McMinnville School District will give our incoming third graders a boost by offering a summer school opportunity for them.
Summer school will last for five weeks total (2 in June & 3 in August). The school day will begin at 9:00 AM and end at noon with breakfast and lunch available before and afterward. A bus will be provided for students within our normal busing routes.
Second grade parents, please fill out the summer school application and return it to our office. We hope that all of our 2nd graders take advantage of this awesome opportunity!
Newby Dress Up Days
We will be having a little fun with some school-wide dress-up days this spring. Dress-up days are designed to encourage school spirit and to help create class discussions around the topic of the day. Please join in, have some fun and add to the school spirit!
Friday, April 24th Hat Day – wear your favorite hat
Friday, May 29th Watch for the theme!
(hint: it will match the PTA All-school End of Year Party theme)
Healthy Snacks Reminder |
If a parent asks if they can bring treats, please remind them:
- Only healthy snacks (see the list) Snack List | Español
- No cake, cupcakes or frosted cookies
- All products must be store bought – no homemade items. Even if the parent has a food server permit, their kitchen is not licensed as a commercial kitchen.
Sign up for school closures/delays
School closures and delays are also posted at www.pdxinfo.net. This site is part of the FlashAlert messenger service, which distributes updates to news stations and subscribers. You can sign up for FlashAlert email messages at www.flashalert.net/id/mcmsd. If you had previously been signed up for Flash Alert, but haven’t logged in for a year or more, please sign up again.
Has your address or phone number changed?
Please contact the office, 503-565-4900 or firstname.lastname@example.org, if your address or phone number has changed. We can’t mail your child’s report card to you or contact you if it is returned unless we have current information.
Supervision of students is a primary concern throughout the school, and mornings are no exception. Options for students before school each morning are:
- Cafeteria is open for breakfast 7:30 a.m. to 7:55 a.m.
- Supervision in the dining area starts at 7:30 a.m.
- Students are dismissed to the playground or computer lab starting at 7:45 a.m.
- Students arriving after 7:55 a.m. will receive a “Breakfast on the Go” and report to class.
- School begins at 8:05 a.m.
- Playground opens at 7:45 a.m.
- Supervisors open the play area starting at 7:45 a.m.
- Students may join the playground activities at any point after 7:45 a.m.
- Students are organized for entry at 7:55a.m.
- School begins at 8:05a.m.
- Front entry drop-off area supervision starts at 7:45 a.m.
- Students arriving before 7:55 a.m. will be directed to the covered play area.
- Students arriving after 7:55 a.m. will proceed to class through supervised hallways.
- School begins at 8:05 a.m.
There is no supervision prior to 7:30 a.m. in the morning at Newby Elementary. Please do not have students arrive at school prior to this time, as this creates a potentially dangerous situation. No adult supervision is available, and we do not want students left on their own in the cold and darkness outside the building. Your help in making this a safe and secure setting is much appreciated.
Dave Carlson, Principal